Intensive Interaction Institute - The Fundamentals of Communication
The Fundamentals of Communication can be characterised as things like:
- Learning to give brief attention to another person.
- To share attention with another person.
- Learning to extend those attentions, learning to concentrate on another person.
- Developing shared attention into 'activities'.
- Taking turns in exchanges of behaviour.
- To have fun, to play.
- Using and understanding eye contacts.
- Using and understanding of facial expressions.
- Using and understanding of non-verbal communication such as gesture and body language.
- Learning use and understanding of physical contacts.
- Learning use and understanding of vocalisations, having your vocalisations become more varied and extensive, then gradually more precise and meaningful.