Intensive Interaction Institute
Intensive Interaction for people who speak
Meeting the fundamental communication needs of people who speak
Intensive Interaction is for people who are at the earliest stages of communication development.
This includes many people who are speaking or starting to speak.
Intensive Interaction focuses on some central effects of autism.
Who should attend
This one day course is for anyone who is involved in the care, support or education of children or adults with Autism
- Support staff
- Parents and family
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Teachers and Teaching Assistants
- Service Managers
- Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists
- Psychologists and Assistant Psychologists
- Learning disability nurses
Many people who have autism may be speaking at various levels of sophistication, yet still have significant difficulties with social communication and the Fundamentals of Communication. Intensive Interaction focuses on social communication, increases posi-tive interactions and develops the Fundamentals of Communication.
Course Programme includes
- The nature of social communication and its impact on psychological and emotional well-being.
- The Fundamentals of Communication – why Intensive Interaction is so important.
- Principles of Intensive Interaction and how to use them with people who can speak, yet need more experience with social contact, turn-taking, eye contacts, facial expressions and non-verbal communication.
- Videos showing children and adults with autism making progress developing social and emotional connections, enjoying interactions, learning to communicate using vocalisations, facial expressions and gesture, becoming relaxed, making eye contact (and much more!).
- Integrating Intensive Interaction principles into a day where the person already has many clever performances and interests.
- Developing true conversational turn-taking, and further use of speech and chit-chat.
- Recognising outcomes and how to record-keep.
Book a place on the next course here
The Institute is currently organising its next round of courses on Intensive Interaction for people who speakand when they have been confirmed will have details posted here.
In the meantime it is possible to find out about what's happening in the world of Intensive Interaction by subscribing to the Institute's Mailing List by following the link below.
Subscribe to the Mailing List
If you would like to be informed of when the next course is due to take place you can do so by subscribing to the Mailing List which will also inform you about other events like courses and Regional Support Groups, services provided for individuals, groups and organisations, latest products and publications and regular newsletters